The jam schedule listing band members and featured tunes through August has been posted. The theme for the next 4 months is songs by Thelonious Monk and Herbie Hancock. We’ll alternate from one session to the next.
I won’t be writing up a new post prior to each jam anymore, only if there is something unusual or specific that needs to be mentioned. As you prep for the jam here are 5 resources that can help:
- The Schedule Page lists band members and featured tune for an upcoming jam
- Learn Jazz Standards has playalongs and chord sheets for common jazz songs
- Jazz Standards is a good place to check out historical info about songs, original keys of songs, brief discussions about chord progressions, etc.
- YouTube has plenty of examples of various musicians playing the featured tunes
- A truly helpful and comprehensive jazz advice/resource blog is Jazz Advice. I think it is the best on the net.
These resources can provide you with much of what’s needed to start learning a new song. Taking lessons with a quality instructor is important and can help with other questions about improvising or about the songs.
See you down there!